Workouts with a jump rope can be done as a warm-up or the actual workout. They help to increase endurance, reduce the risk of getting injuries and improve running results.
Jumping with a rope can strengthen particular muscle groups without putting intense stress on the joints.
The advantages of this type of workouts are the following:
1. General physical form is improved. Workouts with a jumping rope are often done by tennis players, runners, football players and boxers.
2. Agility and physical coordination are improved.
3. Calf muscles are strengthened.
4. Step frequency and movement speed are increased.
5. Excessive calories are burned. Exercising with a rope for 10 minutes (not less than 120 jumps in 60 seconds) are equal to half an hour of jogging.
6. Athletic performance is significantly improved without intense stress.
7. Workouts with a jumping rope can be done practically anywhere.
USA scientists conducted a study on the effect of workouts with a rope on human’s heart and vascular system. The study featured 92 young men as volunteers.
They were divided in 2 groups, one of which jogged every day for half an hour, and the other did exercises with a rope for 10 minutes. Half a month later all the volunteers were checked for the level of physical fitness, taking into account the functioning of the cardiovascular system.
It turned out that all the participants had similar results.
The following research of this problem showed an improvement of cardiovascular system of men who were exercising with a rope regularly.
Moreover, the other study showed that women who preferred this type of workouts just for 5 minutes every day improved their productivity and normalized their heart rate.
Where to start?
If you decided to master the jump rope, at first start using it for warm-ups instead of the actual workouts. The optimal time for that is 5-10 minutes.
When you start feeling an increase in your endurance, you can prolong your warm-ups to half an hour.
Moreover, you can do various types of jumps: cross-jumping, jumping on one leg, etc…
Complex of exercises for the beginners
This complex is simple yet effective. It consists of the following exercises:
1) 10 jumps with a rope on both legs;
2) 10 jumps on one leg, then the same amount of jumps on the other;
3) 20 jumps while alternating the legs;
One set consists of 50 jumps. Repeat the set 3-5 times.
Complex of exercises for advanced jumpers
1) Plan the number of sets beforehand. Jump for 3 minutes, rest for 1 minute.
2) Do 10 jumps, then after a short-time rest do 20 jumps, then after another short-time rest do 30 jumps. Following the same scheme make in up to 100 jumps. Reaching 100 jumps, lower the number of jumps by 10 with every set, until you reach 10 jumps.
3) Do intense and high-speed jumps for 20 seconds, then rest for 10 seconds. Repeat the set 10 times.
4) First do the «burpee» exercise, then do 50 jumps with a rope. Do less «burpee» with every set, but continue doing 50 jumps.
5) Alternate jumping with a rope with squats and push-ups for half a minute.
This, in fact, is all that can be said about working out with a jumping rope. It’s not difficult at all, and the result starts getting noticeable pretty soon.
Major Requirements for Jump Rope Workouts
If you want to make your jump rope workouts mostly effective, you should comply with some important requirements. They are as follows:
- Proper Equipment: The beginners should use a beaded rope. That’s because this type of a jump rope perfectly keeps the shape. Also, it will not be difficult to hold sway over such a rope since it is much heavier comparing to the almost weightless vinyl rope. Also, the rope adjustment is important. You should in particular decrease the rope length to make the rope come at your armpits. In addition, you should take care of the shoes choice. There should be cross-training shoes or at least simply athletic shoes. Anyway, the shoes have to fit like a second skin.
- Space Arrangement: For effective working out with a jump rope, your training area has to be 4′ x 6′. Ensure that you have no less than 10 inches of area above the head so that the jump rope could freely pass over your head without any obstacles. The jumping surface is also crucial. It is not recommended to run the jump rope workouts on asphalt, grass, concrete, and carpet. Thus, for example, the carpet not only decreases impact, but can also become a cause of knee or ankle injury. For jump rope training, an impact mat, plywood piece, or wood floor suit best of all.
- Adequate Alternations: To prolong the duration of jumping periods, it’s advisable to practice the alternations of jumping with lower intensity workouts. And no one actually wants to jump for 10 minutes without interruptions. It’s better to choose a proper strengthening and/or aerobic routine and include rope-jumping intervals to it. In this case, the number of jumping repetitions should vary from 50 to 200.
- Healthy Heart Rate Zone: By jumping every time when the jump rope passes over your head, you reach the highest intensity of jumping. If you slow down the rope in order to perform one more little jump, the intensity rate of your workout decreases. That’s why it necessary to consider the heart-rate zone ideal for you. It means you should choose the workout intensity which will help you reach your exercising goals without damaging your overall health. To determine the upper limit of your heart rate during rope-jumping, you should take your age from 220. Then count 85% of the number you get to know the upper boundary of the target heart-rate zone. The lower boundary accounts for 70%.